General Board of Higher Education and Ministry (GBHEM) United Methodist scholarships
The General Board of Higher Education and Ministry (GBHEM) offers numerous scholarships to students who are active, full members of the United Methodist Church for at least one year. These scholarship are awarded directly from the GBHEM, so application must be made on their Website.
General Scholarship Criteria
The following are standard criteria for EVERY program offered through GBHEM:
- Applicants must be an ACTIVE, full member of The United Methodist Church for at least ONE year. Membership is determined by the date the applicant was confirmed and took membership vows with a United Methodist church. (Members of other Methodist denominations are not eligible.)
- Applicants must be pursuing a degree program at ANY accredited institution within the U.S.
- High school students may apply IF they will be college students in the fall term.
- Applicants must have a minimum GPA of 2.5 or higher on a 4.0 scale.
- Applicants are required to be full-time students according to their school’s standards for the program for which they are enrolled.
- International applicants are eligible to apply IF: they are a member of The United Methodist Church (Central Conference or within the United States) for at least 3 years prior to application; AND they will be enrolled in a United Methodist related institution WITHIN the United States during the term they are applying.
Below are just a few of the many scholarships offered by the General Board of Higher Education and Ministry (GBHEM). Please see the link listed at the bottom of this short list of scholarships to view the entire list of scholarships available.
The United Methodist General Scholarship
Choose if you meet the general requirements but are unsure for which program you qualify. May be awarded to undergraduate, graduate, or doctoral students; must be full active members of the UM Church for at least 1 year; have a minimum GPA of 2.5+, and are attending any accredited institution within the U.S. Average award: undergrad $500 – $1,000; graduate $1,000 – $2,000.
The HANA Scholarship
Applicant must be born of Hispanic, Asian, Native American, or Pacific Island parentage (at least one parent); an upper level student (undergraduate at junior or senior level; OR a graduate or doctoral student); full and active member of the UM Church for at least 3 years; GPA of 2.85+; with plans to prepare for leadership in the UM Church and in their HANA community. Average award $1,000 – 3,000.
The Miriam Hoffman Scholarship
Undergraduate or graduate level, pursuing a vocational career in music education or music ministry. Average award $500 – $1,000.
The Rev. Dr. Karen Layman Gift of Hope: 21st Century Scholars Program
Undergraduate students who demonstrate strong leadership in the UM Church. Member of UM Church at least 3 years. GPA 3.0+. Average award $1,000.
For a FULL LIST of scholarships offered by the GBHEM, please go to the following link: http://www.gbhem.org/loans-and-scholarships/scholarships/list-scholarships
To make application for any of the GBHEM scholarships offered, please visit the Website and follow the directions for making application.