John W. Bean Scholarship (For the Service Volunteer Coordinator Position)
Each year the John W. Bean Scholarship is awarded to a student who exemplifies the qualities of this scholarship and embodies an attitude of service to the college community and society at large. Applicants for the John W. Bean Scholarship are submitting an application for the Student Volunteer Coordinator position.
The Student Volunteer Coordinator (SVC) works closely with the Office of Faith and Action to provide support to the staff in order to ensure a high quality of service.
- Will have a junior or senior status as of the Fall 2021 Semester;
- Will possess a cumulative 2.5 GPA or higher;
- Will have the ability to work 10 hours per week (required);
- Have a history and background of consistent volunteer experience, and
- Be able to fulfill the requirements of the Student Volunteer Coordinator position. Please see guidelines below.
Student Volunteer Guidelines (Year-Long)
- Embody an attitude of service to the college community and society at large
- Demonstrate a history and background of consistent volunteer experience
- Commitment of 10 hours per week, required
- Knowledge of computer programs and social media (Microsoft Word and Excel, Facebook, Twitter)
- Assist in the planning of large-scale college service events—Intersection, Feed the Need, and Service Immersion experiences.
- Creatively brand and market service opportunities and events via social media and in person campus connections
- Communicate with local service partners as needed
- Recruit volunteers on campus—students, faculty and staff
- Assist BREAKAWAY as a student leader during either Spring Break or May Term
- Reserve rooms and spaces on campus for events
- Prepare and submit financial reports with the business office such as: check requests, expense reports, deposits, etc.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Represent the college and supporting department professionally
- Effective communication skills—verbal and written
- Responsible and punctual
- Detail oriented with an ability to see the big picture
- Willingness to learn
- Self-starter who can work independently