General Board of Higher Education and Ministry (GBHEM) United Methodist scholarships
Serving United Methodist Students
The General Board of Higher Education and Ministry (GBHEM) Scholarships offers financial aid to United Methodist students pursuing undergraduate and graduate degrees. Every year, we award an average of $5.5 million to help students in the United States and abroad pursue their dreams through higher education. With this financial aid, GBHEM is opening pathways for students of all backgrounds to earn their degrees and serve as the next generation of leaders for the church and the world. These scholarships are awarded directly from the GBHEM.
General Scholarship Criteria
GBHEM administers over 70 scholarship programs with one general application. Criteria for each scholarship program vary, but there are minimum requirements that apply for general scholarship eligibility consideration:
- Applicants must be an active, full member of The United Methodist Church for at least one year. Membership is determined by the date the applicant was confirmed and took membership vows with a United Methodist church. (Members of other Methodist denominations are not eligible.)
- Applicants must be pursuing a degree program at an accredited institution within the U.S.
- High school students may apply if they will be college students in the fall term.
- Applicants must have a minimum GPA of 2.5 or higher on a 4.0 scale.
- Applicants are required to be full-time students according to their school’s standards for the program for which they are enrolled.
- International applicants are eligible to apply if they are a member of The United Methodist Church (Central Conference or within the United States) for at least 3 years prior to application and will be enrolled in a United Methodist related institution within the United States during the term they are applying.
The GBHEM scholarship application opens in January of each year. You may only submit one application per year where it will be screened for all possible eligible programs. You may indicate on the first page of the scholarship application which of the programs you would most like to be considered for. Scholarship programs are divided into three categories:
- General Scholarships
- Racial-Ethnic Scholarships
- Ministry as a Career Scholarships
For a full list of GBHEM scholarships offered, please visit https://www.gbhem.org/scholarships/scholarships/list-of-scholarships/
*For more information or to apply for any of the GBHEM scholarships, please visit the website at https://www.gbhem.org/scholarships/scholarships/apply/